I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand
This quote is attributed to Confucius (551-479 BC), and while we know our children at St George's do learn through both hearing and seeing, we also know the power of 'learning through doing'. And using the amazing and wonderful outdoor facilities on our doorstep here in the beautiful Isle of Purbeck provides us with a unique opportunity to allow children to "live learning; love learning'' beyond the classroom.
Recent studies have highlighted some of the many benefits of outdoor learning for young children:
- higher levels of conversational language
- greater independence
- improved health and sleeping patterns
- greater physical competence and agility
- improved time focus on activities and more concentration
- a greater understanding of nature and the environment
- improved social skills, involvement and initiative
So at St George's, we take every opportunity to reinforce and complement our classroom teaching with outdoor learning. And that makes wellies, fleeces and coats a regular part of the day here at St George's !!